There are times I have felt like my hair was not making any growth progress and I am sure many of you can relate.
As my life (yes, I do have a life outside of hair – lol) has gotten much busier, my focus (or rather obsession) on whether or not my hair was growing has taken a backseat – for a while, at least.
Whilst going through some old pictures, I came across a picture taken around this time 2 years ago. Comparing it with a picture that I had recently taken, I could see how much my hair had grown!! It certainly grew – A LOT!!
I just wanted to share this growth comparison picture, which I feel will be useful to the newly naturals among us who might be feeling frustrated with their hair growth rate.
Here are a few things I did over the course of two years that has helped me achieving my growth:
- My natural, handmade products which I had been using for a while before I launched them as MY PRODUCT LINE.
- Regular henna sessions. Well, I say regular….. I started off with monthly henna sessions in the Spring of last year, however, with increasing work commitments since last December, my henna sessions has dropped to once every 6-8 weeks.
- No heat – although I don’t believe that careful use of heat applied sparingly would have affected my growth rate.
- Protective styling – my hair hates protective styles. The longest I leave a style in is 7 days….any longer and my hair suffers. As you can see, my hair did quite well without lengthy protective styles.
- Consistent use of satin pillowcases, satin bonnets or satin scarves. I have been very naughty with this & haven’t been too consistent. I am not advocating that you throw away your satin scarves. I am just saying…..don’t get too obssessive about it if you miss a night or two. Both you and your hair would be just fine.
- Cowashing. Urgh! Don’t even get me started on the subject of cowashing. My hair suffered lots of breakage& stunted growth when I was cowashing it. I stopped cowashing…..et viola, better growth rate.In conclusion, simple methods, as you can see from my regimen, are always best. My hair care regimen was very simple – wash, deep condition & style. Henna every 4 – 8 weeks, and the use of high quality products.
Coming from a herbal/medicinal background, I don’t just pick my product ingredients because they smells good, look good, or because every other blogger is saying ‘oh, shea butter is good for the hair’ therefore it MUST be good. I make my product formulas using very well researched proportions that I have worked with, experimented with & have perfected. Each ingredient has a purpose, each ingredient enhances the other ingredient. The result – hair super food!!!
Of course, you do not need to use my products. My advice to you would be to stick to good product staples, preferably from the same brand. Don’t be a product junkie. Hopping between various products in a short space of time will drive your hair into shut-down mode . Once you find a brand you like, stick with it & rotate products every 6 months or so. Just like children, your hair needs consistency in product use & hair care regimen for it to thrive.
Simple is always best and like I have always said - It doesn’t matter if your hair is natural, curly, permed, weaved or colour treated, you can never ever go wrong with natural products.